Map of Central America

Map of Central America
It seems that some of you are confused as to where Honduras is. Feel free to study this map and decrease your ignorance of world geography. I live a little southeast of the town of Copan on the western side of Honduras.

Friday, November 21, 2008

Anyone in the mood for a quickie?

School is great but its getting harder and harder as I deal with more nuances of the culture. Today I was faced with the dilemma of whether or not to tell an abusive father that I am having disciplinary problems with his daughter. I almost got in an argument today with the principal about some of the Honduran teachers because they favor some kids over others, and my principal thinks that's ok. I told a parent during parent-teacher conferences that his daughter has been cheating and copying on tests and homework and he just laughed...I was like, um, no, you are supposed to be mad. (Obviously, I didn't say that). These are all just differences between my culture and theirs, and the situations just keep on coming. So, its a lot to deal with. Being totally culturally immersed in a culture that's different from my own isn't all fun and games like I thought it would be. Every minute of my life is a learning experience though, so I better as fuck be learning a lot from this. Its definitely a test in patience and acceptance. I gotta tell you, I'm learning I have a lot of room for improvement in those two areas. Nevertheless, my Spanish is coming along, I am still totally in love with my students and have a blast with them, and Honduras just qualified for the next round for the World Cup, so life is good.

1 comment:

Brigette said...

Glad to see that soccer can still lift your spirits, so some things haven't changed. Wait...

p.s. um, here I am, totally commenting on your blog. This is how dire my abby missing is.